The road that stretches before the feet of a man is a challenge to his heart long before it tests the strength of his legs. Our destiny is to run to the edge of the world and beyond, off into the darkness, sure for all our blindness, secure for all our helplessness, strong for all our weakness, gaily in love for all the pressure on our hearts. Saint Thomas in My Way of Life
One of the treasures I found when cleaning out my father in law’s home was a great little book that belonged to Chris’s Grandpa Ralph–the quote above came from the very first chapter of it. It is an itty bitty book but I love to keep it in my tote bag and pull it out and read random selections from it from time to time.
It always inspires me to read the words of others. There are so many wise people in the world and so many people have just the way with words that I long for. I can read something like this and then try to expound upon what it means to me but the usual case is that it leaves me feeling inadequate .
Today’s selection talks about the road that is ahead of each of us. It is indeed a challenge. Perhaps the biggest challenge is the not knowing where that road will lead. I have been led down many roads over the years.
- I have done things I never dreamed I would do.
- I have been places I only dreamed about.
- I have made friends with people that are unlike me.
- I have felt the warmth of a smile when I most needed one and the touch of a hand when I longed for the warmth of that touch.
- I have done things that make me proud but I have also done things that make me ashamed.
- I have loved more than I ever imagined possible.
The road ahead is unsure—the blind corners and edges exist. It takes faith and discipline to go on that road. It is an incredible road this road called life. I wonder where it will lead me tomorrow.